Criminal Law

Criminal Law


If you have been charged with a crime or prohibited act, you may face possible prison or jail time, fines, or other restrictions.  A conviction for a felony can result in imprisonment for greater than 1 year, and conviction on a misdemeanor could result in up to 1 year of jail time.  Although violations, ordinances and delinquencies do not carry jail time, they may result in significant fines and/or possible restrictions.  With so much on the line, don’t take the risk of representing yourself.  To best protect your interests, it is important you speak with an attorney before communicating with the police.  If notified directly by the police, do not make any statements or offer information until you have consulted with an attorney.  If you find yourself in custody, be sure to exercise your right to remain silent until you can seek legal advice.  Whether you are facing a motor vehicle offense, a crime of domestic violence, or a property crime, the attorneys of Shanelaris & Schirch are available to assist you in any stage of your criminal matter in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Restraining Orders

restraining-orders-nashuaIf you or a loved one has been subject to violence, or if you have been unfairly threatened with a restraining order, Shanelaris & Schirch can help you.  With extensive experience in both the practice of law and in working with domestic violence issues, Shanelaris & Schirch can help you to navigate the restraining order process and to advise you on the best options for your unique situation.  It is crucial to have legal representation in these matters, as domestic violence proceedings may result in criminal charges or additional legal action.

If you have been injured, falsely imprisoned or threatened by a household member, or by a current or former partner, you may be able to obtain a Domestic Violence Protective Order.  The law protects you from abuse, and does not require you to file for divorce or pay court fees in order to obtain protection.  A judge can provide emergency protection under this type of order, and can also make orders regarding child custody, use of personal property and use of the family home.  If you have been accused of domestic violence, Shanelaris & Schirch can help you preserve your parental rights, and save your reputation.

Laura-Maistrosky-Nashua-lawyerIf someone else’s repeated behavior has made you afraid for your personal safety, the court may issue a Stalking Protective Order to make the behaviors stop.  Even if you have been followed or contacted as little as 2 times, you may be able to seek a stalking order if those behaviors have made you afraid for your safety.  The stalking law does not require any particular relationship between parties; therefore, it could be a virtual stranger against whom a stalking order is sought.  If someone has filed a stalking petition against you, you may face serious consequences, as stalking can be a misdemeanor or a felony level charge.  Call Shanelaris & Schirch immediately to discuss your options.

“I cannot thank you enough for all of your help and support with this seemingly ongoing nightmare.  I will always be grateful to you.”  — T.E.